- Serving students K5-12th Grades
- College-Prep, Advanced Placement and Dual Enrollment Classes
- Three diploma options including Advanced Diplomas with Honors
- Full Accreditation from SACS (Southern Association of Colleges and Schools) as well as AISA (Alabama Independent School Association)
- Alabama Curriculum Standards
- Abeka and Bob Jones Christian Curriculum for elementary
- Online and digital textbooks in middle and high school
- Students meet or exceed National and State percentile ranks for standardized testing
- Teachers degreed and certified
- BYOD – Bring Your Own Device to enhance classroom instruction
Kindergarten, Elementary (1st-4th), Intermediate (5th-6th)
- Kingwood School serves students in kindergarten through 6th grades in our Elementary building on the KCS Campus. Students receive 360 minutes of daily instruction in individual classroom with a lower student to teacher ratio than what is recommended by the State.
- Students also receive enrichment classes weekly such as Foreign Language (semester of French/semester of Spanish), Library, Art, Music and PE as well as Guidance/Character Education once monthly.
- Curriculum is Christian-based (Abeka and Bob Jones) as well as supplemental resources such as Shurley English, Starfall, Horizons, etc. The curriculum meets or exceeds Course of Study standards for Alabama as well as Common Core Standards.
- Students K-6th are assessed and evaluated three times yearly with the Nationally normed Renaissance Learning STAR Tests (STAR Reading, STAR Math and STAR Early Literacy). Students are measured on present level of functioning (Grade Equivalent/Age Equivalent), progress monitoring and skill intervention.
- Students 3rd-6th grades also participate in the annual ASPIRE ACT Assessment. This is also another way of standardized measure to ensure students are meeting or exceeding goals.
- Accelerated Reader as well as curriculum-based tests, observation and informal testing completed a well-rounded evaluation process.
- As part of the daily curriculum, students receive instruction in Bible. Learning about God and studying His Word is part of the integral nature of instruction at KCS.
- Weekly chapel times provide the students with a large-group of corporate worship where they interact with songs, stories and other fun ways to bring the Bible to life.
- Students also run for office and participate in the Student Government Association (SGA). The SGA is responsible for many activities during the year but most notably community service projects where they are taught to serve others.
- Technology is highly incorporated into the classroom through ipads, projectors, laptops, ipods, mimios, etc. Students are encouraged to use technology in small group/individual learning, centers and whole group instruction.
Middle (7th – 8th)
- Kingwood serves middle school students in grades 7th-8th. Students begin utilizing online and ibook (iPad) textbooks starting with the 6th grade year. BYOD (Bring Your Own Device) has become extremely popular in our society and has been fully embraced by KCS. Students are allowed to and encouraged to bring their devices from home to use within the classroom to stay organized, take notes, research topics, view pictures/videos and lots of other things that support the educational process.
- Middle school students also participate in the ASPIRE ACT testing as well as STAR Reading and STAR Math testing. These are standardized tests that allow our faculty to accurately guage a students’ present level of functioning compared to his/her peers on the national level.
- Students also receive a daily Bible class that is considered one of seven periods per day as well as a weekly Chapel service. Students are taught to dive deeper into the Word to experience God’s teachings beyond the elementary Bible stories taught when young.
- Students have the opportunities to be recognized for academic achievement through Jr. Beta Club as well as A and AB Honor Roll Awards.
- Electives are also available for middle school students such as Band, Chorus, Chorus, Marching Band, Art, History through Film, Yearbook and many others. They are also able to join extracurricular clubs such as the Red Cross Club and the Student Government Association.
High (9th – 12th)
- High school students, grades 9th-12th, have the opportunity to choose one of three Diploma options: Standard, Advanced and Advanced with Honors.
- Students in 9th and 10th grades can enroll in Pre-Advanced Placement classes in English, History and Science. Students in 11th and 12th grades can enroll in Advanced Placement classes in the same subjects that provide college credit upon completion of a standardized assessment.
- Dual enrollment is also offered for Pre-Calculus and Calculus classes that follow college curriculum and award college credit but are taken at KCS during the high school day.
- Textbooks are online and accessed through ipads, tablets and online. Students participate in BYOD (Bring Your Own Device) which enables them to have individual access to the latest technology during the school day.
- High School students also take one period per day as a Bible class in addition to the weekly Chapel services. Students are taught and encouraged to explore God’s Word to develop a close, personal and mature relationship with our Heavenly Father.
- Students take the regular standardized testing as required by the State: PSACT, ASPIRE and ACT to determine national ranking and college entrance. Kingwood continues to score at or above local and state levels in achievement in all areas.
- High Schoolers have a wide variety of electives to chose from including ACT Prep, UA Early College, Band, Art, Foreign Language, Cullinary Arts, Chorus and Weight Training. Students are encouraged to utilize electives to better prepare for college readiness by taking electives such as Writing Workshop.